In light of all the recent and upcoming changes facing Mathematics departments in the California Community College system, the theme of this year's conference is Riding the Waves of Change. We hope that this year's conference will provide a platform for our colleagues in the SVCCM group to discuss these changes and find out how local departments are meeting the challenges presented.
Sacramento Valley Community College Mathematics is a loose association of mathematics faculty of the eight community colleges in the Sacramento region:
- American River College
- Butte College
- Cosumnes River College
- Folsom Lake College
- Sacramento City College
- Sierra College
- Woodland Community College
- Yuba College.
The next conference will be held on Saturday, March 16, 2019 at Sierra College on the Rocklin campus.
Who We Are
- There is a need for interaction among faculty. This is especially so for faculty in a community college (cc) district with several campuses, as well as for faculty belonging to small math departments, where the variety of interaction may be limited. There is also a need for interaction among faculty of different cc districts.
- There is a need for articulation both with K--12 schools as well as with four-year colleges and universities.
- There is a need for faculty from different cc districts to share solutions or possible approaches to common problems and challenges. These include the delivery of instruction, in-class challenges, and system-wide challenges.
- There is a need for faculty to explore and think about advanced topics in math so that they may renew their sense of mathematical enjoyment, their raison d'être for becoming mathematicians.
Our purpose, therefore, is to provide opportunities for community college math faculty in the region to communicate.